Enlish speaking lesson
Презентація по слайдам:
LESSON 4 Objectives: to enrich students’ vocabulary to develop students’ speaking, reading and listening skills to develop students’ creative thinking
WARM UP TRAINS AND FERRYBOATS Over the mountains, Over the river, Over the plains, Over the bays Over the rivers Ferryboats travel Here come trains Every day. Carrying passengers, Watching the seagulls, Carrying mail, Laughing with friends Over the country I'm always sorry, Here come trains. When the trip ends.
MAIN PART 1. Make up sentences I My mother My father My friend My grand- parents We Our pupils Like Likes Enjoy Enjoys Prefer prefers Travelling To travel By on Plane Train Ship Bus Car Foot bike
2. Listening a) Pre-listening activity Explain how the choice of any way of travelling depends on: the traveller's age, profession, character, health and aims; the distance the traveller is going to cover; the place he is planning to visit.
b) While-listening activity Listen to the short descriptions of different ways of travelling and guess each kind of travelling. Put the numbers of the descriptions into the table. By plane By train By ship By car On foot
3. Pair work Ask each other what countries you would like to travel to and how you want to travel there. Example: P1: Have you ever been to Canada? P2: No, I haven’t. I have never been to Canada. P1: What country would you like to travel to if you had enough money? P2: If I had much money I’d like to travel to ….first. P1: What kind of transport would you use? ……………………………………………..
4. Speaking Make up a short story about your favourite kind of travelling. Say: whether it is a comfortable way of travelling; whether it is interesting, exciting, adventurous, enjoyable, dangerous or safe; what advantages and disadvantages it has. I prefer…………………………… Travelling by…………is…………………. When you travel by (on)…………….you can………… Nevertheless travelling by (on)…………… its disadvantages: …………………….
5. Checking up the hometask a) fill in the blanks arrived, fantastic, voyage, took, journey, caught, travelling, pictures, comfortable, passengers Hello, Ann! I've been on a wonderful.... I travelled to Odesa and then had a ... by ship. I travelled with my mum and dad. It was a very nice journey. I had a ... seat next to the window. We ... to Odesa at midnight We were tired and we missed the last bus. So we ... a taxi and went to a hotel. In the morning we ... a bus to the port. Our ship left at 10 a.m. Odesa is a big city and port. I think there is nothing better than ...by ship. I liked the sea and the wind, I liked the friendly faces of the ..., and the food, and the music. The weather was ... . I took some ...of different places. See you soon. Best wishes, Mary.
6. Reading He Paid His Bill An Englishman who was in France on a short visit wanted to go back to England. He had only enough money for his ticket. So he decided not to eat two days of his voyage. He bought a ticket and got on the ship. When dinner time came, he said he was not hungry. In the evening when he was asked to have supper he said the same and went to sleep hungry. The next morning the Englishman felt half-dead with hunger. "I shall eat even if they throw me into the sea," he said to himself and went to the dining-room. There he ate everything that was on the table before him. When the dinner was over, he quickly stood up and went to his cabin. In the evening when the ship was not far from London, he ate his supper and said to the waiter , "Bring me the bill for my meals." But the waiter asked, "What bill?" "For the dinner and supper I ate." "But you paid for your meals when you bought the ticket," answered the waiter.
Post-reading activity Answer the questions Why did the Englishman decide not to eat two days of his voyage? What did he do when dinner time came? What did he do in the evening? What did he say to himself the next morning? Did the Englishman have dinner and supper on the second day of his voyage? What did he say to the waiter after supper? What did the waiter answer?
SUMMING UP Your hometask is to write a short composition about your last travelling. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!